Starting and Monitoring ART
Written by: Casey Hribar | Last reviewed: September 2019
- Starting Antiretroviral Treatment for HIV. Avert: Global Information and Education on HIV and AIDS. https://www.avert.org/living-with-hiv/starting-treatment. Published December 14, 2017. Accessed June 30, 2019.
- Sax PE. Patient Monitoring During HIV Antiretroviral Therapy. UpToDate. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/patient-monitoring-during-hiv-antiretroviral-therapy. Published May 7, 2018. Accessed June 30, 2019.
- Guidelines for the Use of Antiretroviral Agents in Adults and Adolescents Living with HIV. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: AIDSInfo. https://aidsinfo.nih.gov/contentfiles/lvguidelines/adultandadolescentgl.pdf. Published October 25, 2018. Accessed June 30, 2019.
- Initiation of Antiretroviral Therapy. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: AIDSInfo. https://aidsinfo.nih.gov/guidelines/html/1/adult-and-adolescent-arv/10/initiation-of-antiretroviral-therapy. Published October 17, 2017. Accessed June 30, 2019.
- Teeraananchai S, Kerr SJ, Amin J, Ruxrungtham K, Law MG. Life expectancy of HIV-positive people after starting combination antiretroviral therapy: A meta-analysis. HIV Med. Apr 2017; 18(4), 256-266.
- Goldschmidt RH, Chu C, Dong BJ. Initial management of patients with HIV infection. American Family Physician. 1 Nov 2016; 94(9), 708-716. Available from: https://www.aafp.org/afp/2016/1101/p708.html. Accessed June 30, 2019.
- Guideline on When to Start Antiretroviral Therapy and on Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis for HIV. World Health Organization. https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/186275/9789241509565_eng.pdf;jsessionid=A48349DA6E4102E54585C95B7C1B5EAC?sequence=1. Published September 2015. Accessed June 30, 2019.
- INSIGHT START Study Group, Lundgren JD, Babiker AG, et al. Initiation of antiretroviral therapy in early asymptomatic HIV infection. New England Journal of Medicine. 2015; 373(9), 795-807. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26192873. Accessed June 30, 2019.
- Samji H, Cescon A, Hogg RS, et al. Closing the gap: increases in life expectancy among treated HIV-positive individuals in the United States and Canada. PloS one. 18 Dec 2013; 8(12), e81355. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24367482. Accessed June 30, 2019.
- Moore RD, Keruly JC. CD4+ cell count 6 years after commencement of highly active antiretroviral therapy in persons with sustained virologic suppression. Clin Infect Dis. 2007;44(3):441-446. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17205456. Accessed June 30, 2019.
- Palella FJJ, Armon C, Chmiel JS, et al. CD4 cell count at initiation of ART, long-term likelihood of achieving CD4 >750 cells/mm3 and mortality risk. The Journal of antimicrobial chemotherapy. Sep 2016; 71(9), 2654-2662. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27330061. Accessed June 30, 2019.
- Eisinger RW, Dieffenbach CW, Fauci AS. HIV viral load and transmissibility of HIV infection: Undetectable equals untransmittable. JAMA. 5 Feb 2019; 321(5), 451-452.