It’s still cold here in Kansas. Like much of the country, we have had a great deal of ups and downs temperatures. But, while we wait for spring to arrive, I took a winter comfort food and gave it a healthier spin. I made plenty to eat for the whole week, but you can definitely cut this recipe in half.
Serving: 1 cup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Ingredients for a ground turkey chili
- 2 pounds ground turkey breast (I use 93 percent lean)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 2 12-ounce cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of black beans
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 package of chili seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups of water
Directions for cooking the chili
- In a large pot add oil, garlic, onion and peppers and sauce on medium to high heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add ground turkey and cook until there is no more pink color in the meat. Add dried seasonings and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add cans of diced tomatoes, water, and beans.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer for 30-45 mins until chili thickens.
- Taste and add salt as needed. Enjoy!
- calories: 293
- carbohydrate: 25g
- cholesterol: 85mg
- fiber: 6g
- potassium: 734mg
- protein: 27g
- saturated fat: 2g
- sodium: 464g
- sugar: 9g
- total fat: 9g
- trans fat: 0g
Disclaimer: H-I-V.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Have you taken our In America Survey yet?