Salmon Nicoise Salad
Last updated: December 2021
You can also replace the salmon with a protein of your liking (tuna, shrimp, scallops, chicken breast, or steak). The possibilities are endless. Enjoy!
Salmon nicoise salad ingredients
- 8 ounces small purple potatoes or baby potatoes
- Kosher salt
- 4 ounces haricots verts, trimmed or 1 bunch asparagus
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons and ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup drained capers, patted dry
- 1 pound skin-on salmon fillet
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 anchovy fillets packed in oil, optional
- 1 tablespoon whole grain Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 whole lemon
- ½ medium shallot, finely chopped
- 4 cups butter lettuce or mixed greens
- 2 cucumbers (preferably English cucumbers), sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ cup Niçoise olives, pitted (Kalamata)
- Place washed potatoes in a medium saucepan and add cold water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, season with salt, and cook until fork-tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer potatoes to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Return water to a boil and cook haricots verts or asparagus in the same saucepan until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl of ice water. Chill until cold, about 3 minutes. Transfer to paper towels and pat dry.
- Return water in the pot to a boil and cook eggs, 8 minutes. Transfer eggs to bowl of ice water and chill until cold, about 5 minutes. Peel and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add capers and cook, swirling pan occasionally, until capers burst and are crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer capers with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Let oil cool and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Rub salmon all over with reserved caper oil and place on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Roast until medium-rare (fish will be slightly translucent in the center), 10 to 12 minutes. Cook 3 to 5 more minutes if you prefer your salmon to be a little more on the medium side). Let cool.
- Meanwhile, mash anchovies (if using), mustard, and sugar in a large bowl to form a coarse paste. Remove peel and white pith from lemon. Working over a bowl, cut between membranes of lemon to release segments. Squeeze remaining juice from membranes into bowl; discard membranes. Whisk in shallot, then slowly whisk in remaining ¼ cup oil. Season vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
- Using a fork, break salmon into large flakes and discard the skin. Halve reserved potatoes and eggs crosswise.
- Arrange crisp romaine or mixed greens on a platter; season with salt and pepper. Drizzle half of dressing. Top in separate piles with potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, haricots verts, hard-boiled eggs, olives, and salmon. Drizzle salad with remaining dressing and top with fried capers.
Disclaimer: H-I-V.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Have you shared your story on our site?