Stigma Surrounding HIV
Written by: Casey Hribar | Last reviewed: September 2019
- HIV Stigma Fact Sheet. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/actagainstaids/pdf/campaigns/lsht/cdc-hiv-TogetherStigmaFactSheet.pdf. Accessed September 5, 2019.
- HIV Stigma and Discrimination. Avert: Global Information and Education on HIV and AIDS. https://www.avert.org/professionals/hiv-social-issues/stigma-discrimination. Accessed September 5, 2019.
- What is HIV Stigma? Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/livingwithhiv/stigma-discrimination.html. Published August 6, 2019. Accessed September 5, 2019.
- Giordano TP, Giffor AL, et al. Retention in care: A challenge to survival with HIV infection. Clinical Infectious Diseases. June 2007; 44(11), 1493-9. Available from: https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/44/11/1493/477758. Accessed September 5, 2019.
- Access Challenges for HIV Treatment: Among People Living with HIV and Key Populations in Middle-Income Countries. Policy Recommendations. Partnership of Global Network of People Living with HIV, Global Network of Sex Work Project, International Network of People Who Use Drugs, Global Forum on MSM and HIV, and International Treatment Preparedness Coalition. https://msmgf.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Access_Challenges_for_HIV_treatment_KAPs.pdf. Published 2013. Accessed September 5, 2019.
- Kinsler JJ, Wong MD, et al. The effect of perceived stigma from a health care provider on access to care among a low-income HIV-positive population. AIDS Patient Care and STDs. 21 Aug 2007; 21(8), 584-92.
- Sayles JN, Wong MD, et al. The association of stigma with self-reported access to medical care and antiretroviral therapy adherence in persons living with HIV/AIDS. Journal of General Internal Medicine. Oct 2009; 24, 1101-8. Available from: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11606-009-1068-8. Accessed September 5, 2019.
- Mahajan AP, Sayles JN, et al. Stigma in the HIV/AIDS epidemic: A review of the literature and recommendations for the way forward. AIDS. Aug 2008; 22(Suppl 2), S67-79. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2835402/. Accessed September 5, 2019.
- Barnhart G. The Stigma of HIV/AIDS. American Psychological Association. https://www.apa.org/pi/about/newsletter/2014/12/hiv-aids. Published December 2014. Accessed September 5, 2019.